jueves, 7 de febrero de 2013

No. 5


They say people associate certain odours with certain persons, objects and memories. 
I associate one particular perfume with one of my aunts, because she usually "wears" it at special events. And that's how I first knew about Coco Chanel and thought, "wow, how cool that person must be to call him/herself like an exotic fruit!" Coincidentally, I love coco, so that person gained a place in my ranking of top people. Aaah.. kids' stuff.. When I later knew it wasn't her real name (when I knew it was actually a woman)...

Gabrielle Chanel was a cabaret singer and used to perform “Ko Ko Ri Ko” and “Qui qu’a vu Coco?” Later, the audience began calling her “Coco,” the refrain in both songs. I've also found on Internet that all that is a popular story, that actually Coco comes from "coquette" (flirt).


For the first time, the most feminine fragance in the world to be represented by a man... who? ;)

Mademoiselle Chanel used to describe No. 5 as "a woman's perfume with a woman's scent." And she added, "a woman's scent should be as important as her style of dress."

The chemical formula for Chanel No. 5 was created in 1921 by Russian-French chemist and perfumer Ernest Beaux. Until today, it is the best-selling and most famous frangance in the world.

 
But, why that name, that mysterious code of No. 5

Mademoiselle Chanel preferred the 5th perfume sample Beaux presented to her (among over other 80 scents).  Others say that it's because of her belief in the magical luck-giving quality of number 5. Besides, according to wikipedia, she chose no. 5 because "I present my dress collections on the fifth of May, the fifth month of the year and so we will let this sample number five keep the name it has already, it will bring good luck.


in the movie Coco before Chanel (Coco avant Chanel).


So... 
what's your scent? 
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario